Monday, April 27, 2009

Highland Scandal by Julia London


You know I am so disgusted with the whole political landscape I don’t even know what to write about. I can’t believe that key Democrats in the House of Representatives are planning on blocking the energy bill just to cave into the interests of the coal industry. So lobbyists still have their grips into Washington. So what else is new? Then of course we now have swine flu to contend with now! Purell everyone?? What next?
So, I have decided to keep reading romance novels to escape into a better and more pleasant world. I have just finished Highland Scandal by Julia London. The book, set in Scotland in 1807, is the story of Jack, Earl of Lambourne who is being chased by bounty hunters set upon him by the Prince of Wales. Jack is being wrongly accused of adultery with the Princess of Wales.
In order to avoid the bounty hunters he agrees to a handfast marriage with Lizzie Beal. Lizzie is being forced into this marriage against her will by her uncle. All she wants to do is to save her property, take care of her crippled sister and be left alone.
I found this story to have a fast moving plot and well developed characters. Even some of the secondary characters such as Newton, one of the uncle’s men set to guard Lizzie and Jack, were very well developed. Scotland is one of my very favorite settings so this story had instant appeal for me. I like the geography of the country but I really like the loyalty of clan members to each other. Of course a handsome hero only adds to the attraction!
There is an element of mystery as the reader tries, along with Jack, to discover why the uncle insists on this handfast marriage. There is also some humor which I think adds to a story’s attraction. I loved the scene where Jack, who is considered a rake of the first degree, is up on the roof trying to patch it. This is surely not like a rake’s behavior and the dialog was very good in this scene as it is throughout the book.
Julia Long is a very good author and I am looking forward to the next book in the series which will be A Courtesan’s Scandal. This book is due out in November of 2009.
I gave Highland Scandal 4 ½ stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment