Saturday, July 4, 2009

What Happens In London by Julia Quinn


I just finished reading What Happens in London and I loved it! As usual Quinn manages to create great characters and using her sense of humor comes up with another fabulous book. In addition to using her sense of humor she manages to create some real tension and intrigue in this book. It kept me on edge right up to the end! I have to say that some of the scenes between Harry and Olivia were very funny.
I remember Olivia Bevelstoke from Quinn's earlier book The Secret Diaries of Miranda Cheever. Olivia and Miranda were best of friends and Miranda married Olivia's older brother. Olivia comes into her own in this book and she is certainly different from the usual tonish debutante. She is bright and has a great sense of humor and is comfortable with who she is.
At first I thought Harry Valentine was a little weird! But I really liked how he accepted Olivia for who she is and didn't expect her to change, even though they got off to a rough start. Harry was different and very bright. His childhood left alot to be desired but because of his grandmother's influence and his friendship with his cousin Sebastian he was able to overcome that and become a whole person. He ended up being my favorite character.
I loved their method of communication and I thought the proposal scene was very funny and tender and quite romantic.
The secondary characters such as Sebastian Grey and Prince Alexi were well developed and they played an important part in moving the plot along. I can't wait to read Sebastian's story which will come out next year. I am wondering if Harry's brother Edmund will eventually get his own book.
This book got a DIK (Desert Island Keeper) rating from All About Romance and 4 stars from Romantic Times

No comments:

Post a Comment