Saturday, May 9, 2009

Highland Scoundrel by Monica McCarty

Wow! This book is a page turner! Set in the Highlands of Scotland this is the story of Duncan Campbell and Jeannie Gordon. The story takes place in the early 1600's. Duncan was wrongly convicted and sentenced to hang for something he did not do. He and Jeannie had fallen in love and hoped to marry. However, Duncan thought that Jeannie had betrayed him and that she was the reason he had to leave his beloved Highlands.
Duncan has traveled to Ireland and Europe as a mercenary and has become famous as the "Black Highlander." He has also made his fortune. He returns to the Highlands ten years later hoping to prove his innocence.
In the meantime, Jeannie had married Francis Gordon who has just died leaving her a very vulnerable widow. She is swimming in the loch when Duncan comes upon her. She is so startled to hear someone behind her that she turns and shoots only to find that it is her lost love, Duncan.
This story is filled with intrigue and betrayal and I have to admit that I stayed up much too late last night so I could finish it. I shall have to reread parts of it as it was so exciting that I know I skipped over some things.
The romance was very touching though certainly not smooth as Duncan and Jeannie try to deny the passion that still exists between them. Duncan knows Jeannie is keeping something from him and cannot figure out what it is. When all seems lost help comes from a very unexpected quarter. While the romance was a major factor in the plot it did not rule the story. It was well integrated with the intrigue, betrayal and the search for the truth.
I loved Duncan and Jeannie as hero and heroine and I felt that their characters were very well developed. Duncan is very strong both physically and emotionally except when it comes to Jeannie. Jeannie is strong in her own way as well as being very stubborn but trying always to protect her family. I would have liked to see a little more development of some of the secondary characters. Jeannie's daughter Ella was charming and I loved her vivaciousness. Jeannie mother-in-law was a bitch and very well portrayed.
I love books set in the Scottish Highlands so this book had immediate appeal for me. The author's notes at the end of the book were interesting as they gave the historical background of the story. Monica McCarty writes consistently good stories set in this region. Her Highlander Trilogy was very good.
I can highly recommend this book to my romance lover friends. I gave this book 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment