Friday, May 22, 2009

It's In His Kiss by Julia Quinn


I love books in a series especially if they are as good as the Bridgerton Series by Julia Quinn, The Slightly Series by Mary Balogh or the Cynster Series by Stephanie Laurens. I always look forward to the next book and when the series ends I am sad for a few days as those characters have become dear friends.

The Bridgerton series consists of eight books. Each one is devoted to one of Violet Bridgerton's eight children, Anthony, Benedict, Colin, Daphne, Eloise, Francesca, Gregory and Hyacinth. Through the eight books the reader becomes acquainted with the whole family and the story of each one is as different as the personalities of the eight children.

This is not a new series. The first book, The Duke and I, is Daphne's story and was published in 2000. It's In His Kiss is the seventh book and is Hyacinth's story. It was published in 2005. I read the book when it was first published and loved it as Hyacinth has always been one of my favorite characters. Recorded Books recorded this on audio CD and I have just finished listening to it for the second time.

Julia Quinn writes with a wonderful sense of humor as well as giving the reader some really romantic love scenes. Her characters are well developed and their personalities come through very well.

Hyacinth is a very opinionated young woman and when Gareth St. Claire enters her life she finally meets someone who appreciates her frankness but who can also match wits with her. The reason I decided to write this review is when I was driving along and listening to it I found myself laughing out loud at the scene when Gareth goes to ask Hyancinth's brother Anthony for her hand. Anthony seemed so relieved that finally someone suitable wanted to marry her. Gareth was quite taken aback at his attitude.

The scene when Gareth asks Hyacinth to marry him is also very funny. It takes place in his grandmother Danbury's home and she, Lady Danbury, refuses to leave and stays as Gareth proposes to Hyacinth. Along with the humor though there is a tenderness about the story as Gareth deals with his father and as Hyacinth realizes that there really is a man for her.

Simon Prebble is the narrator and if no one has ever listened to his narrations it is a must! He also narrated Stephanie Laurens Cynster series and I find his voice addictive and he expresses the emotions evoked by the author so well.

Unfortunately Recorded Books has only done the last two books in the Bridgerton series. Why they did not begin with the first book I will never know.

Anyway, if you haven't read this series or any other of Julia Quinn's book, please give them a try.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my yes! He is captivating. He has done a few other romances as well. In addition, I find him every bit as captivating doing books from other genre. I know if he performs it, it will be very well done.

    ReplyDelete